What is Giving Tuesday?
We’re so glad you asked! #GivingTuesdayCLT is Charlotte’s local response to the global #GivingTuesday movement which developed to encourage individuals around the country to give back to their communities and make positive changes in the lives of their neighbors. The Charlotte chapter is an unprecedented collaboration of over 230 Charlotte nonprofits as well as corporations, local businesses, professional sports teams, and community organizations working together for the greater good.
How does PFLAG fit into this campaign?
PFLAG Charlotte is excited and honored to be a part of Giving Tuesday for a second year. As an official #GivingTuesdayCLT 2017 Nonprofit Partner, we have an amazing opportunity to spread our mission to the greater community, to raise awareness of the issues facing our LGBT+ children and friends, and to offer support to other amazing organizations working for positive change in the Charlotte community. The donations we receive from this event will go towards helping us maintain our activism and, hopefully, to expand our services even further in the year to come.
Is it only a one-day event?
Nope! Giving Tuesday is a two-week endeavor that stretches from November 14th to November 28th. The goal is not only to raise money for local nonprofits but, perhaps more importantly, to raise awareness of the issues that these nonprofits are working to address. You can donate any time from the 14th through the 28th.
How can I get involved?
There are so many ways! We would, of course, be honored by any financial assistance you can provide. To contribute, head on over to our donation page at https://sharecharlotte.org/donate/18071.
Perhaps even more importantly, you can help by spreading the word! You can do this through word of mouth, retweeting our #GivingTuesdayCLT posts on Twitter @pflagcharlotte, changing your profile picture on Facebook to one of the graphics below, or sharing your story of why giving is important to you using the hashtag #GivingTuesdayCLT on any social media platform. Remember: this isn’t just a one-day campaign: share, re-share, and share again through the 28th!
Apologies are in order! Our Social Media Coordinator (Jordan F) was out of the country this summer, and our blog fell by the wayside. Luckily, we still had our Facebook page to keep everyone updated on important matters, but now we’re back, and we hope you forgive us our lapse in entries.
There have been so many updates since the last post in June! In order to keep this post from becoming an essay that no one wants to read (except you academic types: we love you), we’re putting this in a bulleted list.
- PFLAG had wonderful representation at Pride this August! Our float’s theme was “It’s a jungle out there. PFLAG loves you,” and we had a great turnout of volunteers who made the Family Fun Zone a success once again.
- This Saturday, September 23rd, Bold Missy Brewery [610 Anderson St.] will be donating $1 of every beer sale to PFLAG Charlotte! Good beer, good friends, good cause. We hope to see you there!
- PFLAG Charlotte participated in Wells Fargo’s Flash Philanthropy Campaign on September 7th, and we were awarded $1,000! The campaign runs through the month of September, and if we win the virtual campaign, we may receive an additional $5,000. Many thanks to Wells Fargo for being such a great corporate ally.
- San Francisco Gay Men’s Chorus is coming to Charlotte as part of its Lavender Pen Tour on Saturday, October 14th. They will be performing at Ovens Auditorium along with members of the Oakland Interfaith Gospel Choir, One Voice Chorus and the Charlotte Gay Men’s chorus of Charlotte in their campaign to spread their message of love and acceptance. For more information, check out the event website.
- PFLAG board members Jesse, Sarah, and Ashley will be attending the PFLAG National Convention this October and will be presenting a workshop on “Creating a Successful Advocacy Campaign.” We are very excited to announce that our group is going to be awarded the Outstanding Chapter Award. So proud of our members and our board!
There are so many wonderful things going on right now, it’s hard to include them all in one blog entry! Keep an eye out for updates in the next week or so, and remember to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and now Instagram @pflagcharlotte!
Our next PFLAG meeting will be on Monday, October 9th at the new Time Out Youth facilities.
We held our first meeting of the new year last night, and not only did we have a lovely turn-out, but we were honored to have with us Jamie Hildreth of MeckPAC (a political action committee focused on LGBT+ rights in Mecklenburg County). Jamie spoke to the group about what we as advocates can do in the year to come in order to affect the political process in our area for the better. As we move forward into a new presidential administration, we are encouraged to focus our efforts not on the national goings-on but rather on our local and state elections. Jamie urges us as members of the Charlotte (and surrounding areas) community to engage our local representatives through phone calls, e-mails, and personal office visits, expressing the concerns that we want to see addressed not to the powers-that-be in Washington but rather to the men and women who serve us directly.
As we look to the future, it will be important for our members who are interested in becoming politically active not to get bogged down by large, national campaigns. Instead, Jamie suggests that we focus our energy on individual issues for maximum impact, and that if there is change that we want to see in our community, we must seek out that change ourselves. As Diane said on Monday night, one of the best things you can do is “VOTE!”
Aside from Jamie’s visit, we also discussed our plans for the year. PFLAG will be submitting its annual grants, one of which will be focused on allowing us to continue our Healthcare Outreach Program — an amazing endeavor that strives to provide healthcare professionals in our area with information about better serving transgender individuals — as our major project for 2017.
We have also decided to attend the Women’s March on Charlotte on January 21st, and anyone interested in joining us are welcome to attend. The event itself is free, but our group will be donating $300 so that PFLAG Charlotte will be an official sponsor. We’ll have hats with our group’s name on them for those who attend, and we’ll be walking the (approximately) 2 miles uptown in the name of equality and togetherness. More information on where we’ll meet and when is forthcoming — please check back here as well as on the PFLAG Charlotte Facebook group and Twitter page (@pflagcharlotte) for more information in the next week.
For more information about MeckPAC, please visit http://www.meckpac.org or contact email@example.com. To e-mail Jamie personally, direct your e-mails to firstname.lastname@example.org. To read up on the origins of the Women’s March, check out https://www.womensmarch.org. Specific information about the Charlotte event can be found at the event page at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/womens-march-on-charlotte-2017-tickets-30958050362.