Apologies are in order! Our Social Media Coordinator (Jordan F) was out of the country this summer, and our blog fell by the wayside. Luckily, we still had our Facebook page to keep everyone updated on important matters, but now we’re back, and we hope you forgive us our lapse in entries.
There have been so many updates since the last post in June! In order to keep this post from becoming an essay that no one wants to read (except you academic types: we love you), we’re putting this in a bulleted list.
- PFLAG had wonderful representation at Pride this August! Our float’s theme was “It’s a jungle out there. PFLAG loves you,” and we had a great turnout of volunteers who made the Family Fun Zone a success once again.
- This Saturday, September 23rd, Bold Missy Brewery [610 Anderson St.] will be donating $1 of every beer sale to PFLAG Charlotte! Good beer, good friends, good cause. We hope to see you there!
- PFLAG Charlotte participated in Wells Fargo’s Flash Philanthropy Campaign on September 7th, and we were awarded $1,000! The campaign runs through the month of September, and if we win the virtual campaign, we may receive an additional $5,000. Many thanks to Wells Fargo for being such a great corporate ally.
- San Francisco Gay Men’s Chorus is coming to Charlotte as part of its Lavender Pen Tour on Saturday, October 14th. They will be performing at Ovens Auditorium along with members of the Oakland Interfaith Gospel Choir, One Voice Chorus and the Charlotte Gay Men’s chorus of Charlotte in their campaign to spread their message of love and acceptance. For more information, check out the event website.
- PFLAG board members Jesse, Sarah, and Ashley will be attending the PFLAG National Convention this October and will be presenting a workshop on “Creating a Successful Advocacy Campaign.” We are very excited to announce that our group is going to be awarded the Outstanding Chapter Award. So proud of our members and our board!
There are so many wonderful things going on right now, it’s hard to include them all in one blog entry! Keep an eye out for updates in the next week or so, and remember to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and now Instagram @pflagcharlotte!
Our next PFLAG meeting will be on Monday, October 9th at the new Time Out Youth facilities.